oh man, these were a hit! we tried this recipe on the day we got our christmas tree this year. it was a perfect ending to our christmas preparation day. the girls were able to get involved with the cookie cutting process. they turned the kitchen into a cookie factory... everyone was designated a "job".... there was a cookie cutter, a flour sprinkler, and the person who layed out the cookies on the cookie sheet.
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup dark molasses
1 tspn baking soda
1/2 tspn ground ginger
1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
2 cups all-porpose flour
powdered sugar (optional)
1. preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. in a large bowl, use a hand mixer and blend the sugar and shortening together.
3. add molasses, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and about 1 1/2 cups of the flour. add more flour to make the dough stiff enough to roll out. the remaining flour is used in the rolling out process
4. flour dust the rolling surface, roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick (or thinner). cut with cookie cutters.
5. bake for 5-7 mins on cookie sheet.